1. The tree must stay
2. The only size home they will permit on the lot is 24 x 50
The builder was at a bit of a loss to explain why the owners are so reluctant to cut down the tree (as no reason was given for that decision), suggested I not send the letter and see about asking an arborist to evaluate the north tree.
No letter sent, and after some networking, I found someone to evaluate the tree this morning. There will be a written report tonight, which I will take up to the park tomorrow.
The preliminary findings are:
1. The South tree is healthy and should remain in place.
2. The North tree is in decline. It appears that the root structure, at some point in time, was trimmed to keep it from damaging the sidewalk. That has weakened the tree. The thin and scraggly limb growth and the way the tree leans is a direct result of the trimming of the root ball in the past. The trimming has also made the tree vulnerable to rot.
What if the park owners don't give a damn (which I don't think they do) and say, so what?
1. Do I go forward and build something that while, for the most part would be ok, but isn't what I really want? Then move somewhere else later?
2. Put a cheap home on there and sell it quick?
I have a couple of thoughts as to why I think the park owners are doing this, which I won't list here, but I don't think any of them have to do with me, personally. However, I want to thank them for turning something that I felt to be a joyful experience, into a nightmare, that is costing me double rent.